This page has been updated for fall 2020 and covers basic policies for the Golden Bear Experience, which includes Golden Bear Advising, Golden Bear Prep, and Golden Bear Orientation.
- Participation for all newly admitted undergraduate students is required for Golden Bear Advising, Golden Bear Prep, and Golden Bear Orientation. There are elements of each which are mandatory for each student; that is, not completing them can adversely affect your enrollment at UC Berkeley. Note: Any event that is tied to your enrollment will be clearly identified.
- As we adapt August Golden Bear Orientation programming to an online setting, we are designing programs with flexibility in mind. Some events, like small group meetings led by Orientation Leaders, will be time-specific and live. Others will be prerecorded and available to watch when is most convenient. A large portion of programming will be optional; participate in the events that you believe will best meet your needs.
- Each component of Golden Bear Orientation is designed to help your transition to Berkeley. Even if you are not able to attend each session live, watching the recordings will directly support your success as a new student.
Student Needs for Fall 2020 Golden Bear Orientation
Participation in GBO is integral to your successful transition to UC Berkeley. However, there are circumstances that could be a barrier to your successful participation — not only in GBO but also in engagement with classes and community building throughout the year. We have identified a variety of barriers but this is not an exhaustive list:
- dependent/child care
- illness (yours or others in your social bubble)
- unexpected family emergencies
- active military duty
- financial hardship, if there is a need to take time away from full-time employment
- accessibility (physical, religious, alternate media, etc.)
- access to technology
Important Note: Please reach out to our office if you have any questions about what constitutes a barrier to your participation.
Fall GBO Student Needs Questionnaire
Please fill out the Fall GBO Student Needs Questionnaire if you have extenuating circumstances preventing you from engaging during GBO. Our goal is to help you navigate not only GBO, but also all of Berkeley. We ask that you use this form to notify New Student Services as soon as possible so our team has time to find the best solutions to meet your needs. Preferred deadline to submit Fall GBO Student Needs Questionnaire: July 19
In light of the many changes surrounding Golden Bear Orientation and the fall 2020 semester, we will keep the questionnaire open until the start of the fall semester (August 26, 2020).
Once you’ve submitted the questionnaire, our team will work with you individually to work on possible solutions. We recognize that, if there are barriers to your participation in GBO, these barriers will likely impact your entire Berkeley experience. If you submit the questionnaire by July 19, you will hear back from a member of our team by August 5.
Fees & Payments
The New Student Programming Fee covers expenses related to Golden Bear Advising, Golden Bear Prep, Golden Bear Orientation, and Getting your Bearings. You will be assessed a fee of $380 on your first semester CalCentral bill. As orientation is mandatory for all new undergraduate students, so is the fee. If applicable, look to your financial aid package to see if this fee will be covered by financial aid in the form of the “New Student Grant.” If you have financial concerns related to the New Student Programming Fee, please complete the New Student Needs Questionnaire. The programming fee covers:
- Golden Bear Advising and Golden Bear Prep pre-arrival modules Golden Bear Orientation programming (virtual programs in August 2020 and any future in person programming)
- Getting Your Bearings programming (virtual programs in fall 2020 and any future in person programming)
- Please refer to our Office of the Registrar Tuition & Fees page for more details on student fees.