Become an Orientation Leader
As a Golden Bear Orientation Leader, you become part of a team that works collaboratively to welcome and orient new students to the UC Berkeley community. Using your own experiences and perspectives, you will help guide incoming students through a multi-day program in August, helping them explore academic life, campus involvement, and everything that UC Berkeley has to offer. This is a unique volunteer opportunity to:
- meet and mentor a diverse, dynamic student group
- develop leadership skills
- be a positive influence while having fun
How to Join
The GBO Leader Application will open January 2024. Fill out our Interest Form now!
Benefits for You
There are so many benefits to becoming a GBO Leader. Here are just a few:
- Leadership and professional development
- Building your skills as a mentor
- Extending your “Berkeley family” and learning more about campus resources
- Creating memories with the GBO community
- Exploring the Bay Area with new students
- Attending the Chancellor’s Reception
- Getting UC Berkeley gear
In-person activities and expectations of all GBO Leaders:
- 1:1 Supervisor Check-In: April 2024
- OL Spring Training: April 27, 2024
- 2:1 Supervisor Pair Check-In: June 2024 – July 2024
- August Intensive Training: August 17-19, 2024 (full days)
- Golden Bear Orientation: August 21-26, 2024 (full days)
- Serve as a role model for new students.
- Participate in all required events, in-person for GBO 2024, including meetings, Orientation Leader training(s), and GBO programs.
- Facilitate activities and conversations related to Bear Foundations (program on diversity & inclusion), Bear Pact (program on sexual violence and mental health), and additional small group discussions.
- Work collaboratively with an OL pair to orient and create a positive experience for new students. OLs will be allowed to have the opportunity to choose their pair via a mutual selection process.
- Create an inclusive and welcoming community for all new students.
- Promote full participation for new students in GBO.
- Guide new students to various campus locations and program points throughout GBO.
- Answer fundamental questions about UC Berkeley.
- Be prompt, prepared, and eager to learn.
- Be able to work well with a diverse group of people and work styles, and to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Be willing to grow both personally and professionally.
- Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at UC Berkeley.
- If you graduate before GBO (i.e. spring or summer 2024), you can still participate as an OL as long as you commit to completing all required responsibilities.
- Possess a desire to support student transition.
- Demonstrate leadership qualities.
- Enjoy interacting with new students, families, faculty, and staff.
- Have a passion and motivation to represent UC Berkeley and our community.
- Be in good academic standing (hold a minimum 2.3 cumulative GPA).
- We encourage applicants to explain any exceptions to this guideline on the OL application form.
- Students who have Pass/No Pass grades from the past three semesters may still apply.
- Extracurricular activities, internships, and employment may not conflict with OL required dates in the Spring or during August Training and Golden Bear Orientation (see above for exact dates).
- Resident Assistant (RA) positions may not be held due to schedule conflicts.
- For Students Who Are Eligible for a Pell Grant or Dream Act Award
If you are a student who is eligible for the Pell Grant or California Dream Act and you become a GBO Leader, then you are eligible for a $500 grant award.
In order to receive the grant, you must be a GBO Leader and complete all leader requirements. This award is to ensure that all students, no matter of financial situation, are able to volunteer as Orientation Leaders. Please reach out if you have questions or concerns regarding this opportunity: email@example.com