Orientation Leader Description
Leave Your Mark as an Orientation Leader
As a Golden Bear Orientation Leader, you become part of a team that works collaboratively to welcome and orient new students to the UC Berkeley community.
Using your own experiences and perspectives, you will help guide incoming students through a multiday program in August, helping them explore academic life, campus involvement, and everything that UC Berkeley has to offer.
This is a unique volunteer opportunity to:
- meet and mentor a diverse, dynamic student group
- develop leadership skills
- be a positive influence (while having fun)
How to Join
Fill out the application and New Student Services will be in touch.
Note: Recruitment is from Nov. to Feb. and the deadline for the Aug. 19 GBO is past. However, if you are interested in joining in the future or want to check on a waitlist opportunity, please send a note to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you want to know more, contact NSS or attend an Information Session (details below).
Perks for You
There are so many benefits to becoming a GBO Leader. Here are just a few:
- Career/professional development
- Extending your “Berkeley family” and learning more about campus
- Exploring the Bay Area with new students
- Attending the Chancellor’s Reception
- Getting UC Berkeley gear
- Experiencing those unexpected intangibles, as expressed by previous GBO leaders
- Serve as a role model for new students by displaying the responsibility and maturity of a continuing student.
- Actively participate in all required events, including meetings, Orientation Leader trainings, move-in and GBO events.
- Create an inclusive and welcoming community for all new students.
- Facilitate activities and discussions.
- Guide students to various locations and program points throughout GBO.
- Answer fundamental questions about UC Berkeley.
- Be prompt, prepared, and positive.
- Promote full participation for students in GBO.
- During GBO in August, you may not be involved in any other outside commitments, including being a Resident Assistant.
- Mandatory twenty-five-minute check-in with your Orientation Mentor (supervisor) between February 25–March 22.
- Will be scheduled after the application period ends.
- OL Spring Training, Day 1: Saturday, April 6 or Sunday April 7, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (lunch included).
- You will get to choose which day on the application.
- OL Spring Training, Day 2: Saturday, April 27, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (lunch included).
- Complete the Online Orientation Leader Training modules about campus resources.
- Read “On the Same Page” book selection.
- Complete Orientation Leader August Training, August 16–18.
- Participate fully in all Move-In and GBO activities from August 20–27.
Want to learn more? Please join us at one of the following Info Sessions. (Food will be provided!)
- Monday, Jan. 28, 6-7 p.m., Unit 2 All-Purpose Room
- Thursday, Jan. 31, 7-8 p.m., Unit 3 All-Purpose Room
- Tuesday, Feb. 5, 3-4 p.m., 218 Eshleman Hall (Public Service Center)
- Friday, Feb. 8, noon-1 p.m., 100 Cesar Chavez (Transfer Center)
- Wednesday, Feb. 13, 6:30-7:30 p.m., 306 Soda Hall (HP Auditorium)
- Undergraduate student in good standing with the University possessing a minimum 2.3 cumulative GPA. (Any GPA below a 2.300 [2.299 or below] will be discussed on a case-by-case basis. Grades and conduct records will be checked to ensure the student is in good standing.)
- Full-time academic status for the Spring semester
- Be able to work well with a diverse group of people and work styles, and to work both independently and as part of a team.
If you are a student who is eligible for the Pell Grant or California Dream Act and you become a GBO Leader, then you are eligible for a $500 grant award from the Educational Opportunity Program.
In order to receive the grant, you must be a GBO Leader and complete all leader requirements. This award is to ensure that all students, no matter of financial situation, are able to volunteer as Orientation Leaders. Please reach out if you have questions or concerns regarding this opportunity: email@example.com