GBO Schedule for Fall 2017
The Golden Bear Orientation schedule is designed to introduce you to the many facets of UC Berkeley and the surrounding areas.
- We expect that you will actively participate in each part of GBO.
- While every student will participate in a large variety of programs throughout GBO, each individual small group schedule will be unique.
- GBO activities will typically begin at 9 a.m. and last through the evening, every day.
- On the first day of GBO, you will be introduced to your Orientation Leaders and a group of fellow incoming students during GBO Grouping. You will experience all of GBO with this group.
- Your Orientation Leaders will serve as your guide throughout the week and share with you what your individual group schedule will look like.
- Some key events will be included in the Cal Events app, but your entire schedule will be directed by your Orientation Leaders.
In general, every day will include meals (grab-n-go breakfast and scheduled times for lunch and dinner), large group programming with the entire incoming class, small group discussions, unique programs decided by your Orientation Leaders, and of course, breaks! Here of some of the amazing programs that you can look forward to:
- Bear Affair: Located in Memorial Stadium, Bear Affair will bring together the entire incoming class and start breaking the ice! Bear Affair will begin with the first ever all-class photo. Students are encouraged to wear dark blue so we can beat the Guinness World Record.
- Campus Tours: Your Orientation Leaders will lead you on a guided tour of campus. Whether you have visited campus before or this is your first time, we promise this tour will help you prepare for your college career at UC Berkeley.
- College Days: Your College has designed programming specifically to prepare you for life in that academic environment. College Days are Wednesday, Friday and Monday of GBO.
- Bear Territory: Bear Territory will bring together all incoming students to recognize and reflect upon the diversity of UC Berkeley.
- Day in the Bay: The San Francisco Bay Area will be your extended home during your time at UC Berkeley, and there are many amazing perks to living in here, such as world-class museums, innovative companies, the landscape and environment, and entertainment venues.
- Bear Pact: Bear Pact is a mandatory presentation that will teach you about important issues faced by college students: sexual violence and harassment, mental health, and alcohol use. Learn about the many ways you can maintain a balanced lifestyle and the resources on campus that can help you in this pursuit. You will also gain strategies to take care of friends, classmates, and roommates.
- Intro to Berkeley: You will have the opportunity to get off campus and explore your new city.
- Late Night Programming: We will keep you entertained throughout the night! Examples of programs include comedy shows, dance performances, hypnotists, silent disco, Target trips and mini golf.